Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hungover Gangsters At The Movies

Remember when I posted about my trip to see Land of the Lost and Drag Me to Hell at the Harrodsburg drive-in theater about a month ago? Well, guess where I just got home from. Go on, guess.

Okay, you got me. I just got home from Kate Beckinsale's house, and she's decided that her husband is out, and I'm in. But seriously, I just got back from another adventure to the Harrodsburg drive-in. That whole Kate Beckinsale thing is just wishful thinking. Sweet, sweet wishful thinking. Anyway, the drive-in had another double feature on deck, so let's just see what I thought about the two flicks.

First on tap was Johnny Depp's recent gangster movie, Public Enemies. I can't really say that I was a fan of the movie, for a couple of reasons. One is that it was really murky-looking. I don't know if it was due to the cinematography, or the print the theater had, or if I needed to clean my car's windshield, but the majority of the time, I had no clue what was going on. My other problem is that Public Enemies had absolutely no plot at all. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the movie has no actual story. The Twilight movie had more story than this, and it was just a couple of terrible actors staring at each other for two hours. You'd almost be better off reading John Dillinger's Wikipedia article instead. The saddest part of the whole thing is that with all the talent in front of and behind the camera, Public Enemies is still a pretty awful movie. So I really can't justify giving it anything more than two stars.

The second half of the double feature was The Hangover, which I'd already seen back in June. The movie is still just as funny as it was the first time, maybe even funnier. I think I might have to actually upgrade that three-and-a-half star rating I gave it in June to four stars now. It deserves it.

So this trip to the drive-in was a balancing act between good and bad. It wouldn't have been so bad had Public Enemies not sucked so badly and had the weather been a little better, but you can't always have everything the way you'd like it. Maybe next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home