Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Turkey Day

Welcome back to the MSX, folks, and happy Thanksgiving. I hope you guys are having a good one. And for my international readers, uh... happy Thursday?

As for me, I'm having a pretty good Thanksgiving thus far. For one reason for another, my immediate family doesn't have anything big lined up for today, so I'm celebrating by watching NBC's coverage of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I grew up watching the Macy's parade every year, so it's become something of a tradition for yours truly.

But it feels like I'm not in the parade's target demographic anymore. Do I want to watch a bunch of high school marching band do a lame 30-second routine? Do I want to watch Miley Cyrus and a bunch of other D-list celebrities lip-sync crappy pop songs? Do I want to see glorified advertisements for Broadway musicals that 98% of the American population will probably never see? No, no, and no. I'm not interested in any of that, which means all I have left to enjoy are the floats and the balloons, which I like. I can't complain about them.

It's weird, though. Back when I was a kid, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was absolutely crammed full of whatever the hottest things in kid-oriented pop culture each year. But nowadays, it's usually just balloons and floats that have been in the parade for years, along with random floats and the occasional pop star(s) that nobody's ever heard of and that'll be forgotten just as quickly. Take, for example, today's "performance" by a band called PushPlay. Has anyone ever heard of them before? I haven't. Sure, I could be out of the loop, but still, is anybody ever going to think back to that legendary Thanksgiving Day performance by PushPlay? Unless they completely bomb it like John Ratzenberger in the 1984 parade, I doubt anybody will remember a musical performance in the parade. And I'm not even sure why they give the singers microphones or instruments when none of them are actually performing. (Is it wrong to hope that one day, the music starts skipping during the lip-syncing?)

But yeah, in spite of my complaints about the parade (including the similar complaints I had last year), I can't help but watch it. And whoever decided to use the Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends float to Rickroll the parade is my new hero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home