Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Con Fever Strikes Again

Once again the time of year has arrived for comic, science fiction, and horror conventions to start cropping up. I mention this because this past weekend saw the third annual Lexington Comic and Toy Convention in beautiful downtown Lexington, Kentucky. This time expanded to three days with twice the floor space, and with Lou Ferrigno and William Shatner, George Takei, and Nichelle Nichols from Star Trek among others in attendance as guests, it was guaranteed to be a bigger experience than the past two years.

And that honestly isn't too far from the truth. It really felt like there was more to do, to see, to be a part of this year. That's a big reason why I enjoy the Lexington Comic Con and conventions in general. There's always so much to experience that one is really missing out on a real adventure if they don't go.

That's not just for the whole "meeting celebrities" thing either. That's a sizable part of it, don't get me wrong. You've got people of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds roaming around, some of them in the coolest costumes you'll ever see, all exhibits and vendors peddling wares that you might not ever get a chance to find elsewhere, and a general overall feeling atmosphere that this is where the cool kids hang out.

I don't attend a lot of conventions, unfortunately. Financial and travel constraints often get in the way. The only other one I've got lined up this year is the Scarefest horror con in September. But I think since I only go to two or three a year, they mean more. I've got a lot of memories from the one I just attended that I'll cherish for a long time. (Meeting Carlos Alazraqui and hearing him do the voices of the Taco Bell chihuahua and Rocko from Rocko's Modern Life for much of our conversation was the best part of the whole weekend for me.) And honestly, I can't wait until next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home