Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Quickie For June

I know it's pretty much been all quiet on the western front in regards to the good ol' MSX, but if you're a regular reader of this blog, you're pretty much used to that by now. But considering this is the last day of June, I figure I might as well post something, lest my streak of at least one post a month for over a decade come to an end. So why don't we just talk about the movies I've seen this month?

I've already reviewed The Purge, Man of Steel, and World War Z over on my other blog, so let's start with This Is The End. I doubt it'll be hailed as a modern comedy classic anytime soon, but I still thought it was a solid movie in both the comedy and disaster genres. The cast gels well together, and both the humor and occasional seriousness work. So it'll get three and a half stars on my usual scale, and a recommendation to rent it when it hits DVD.

The same can be said for Monsters University, the latest effort from Pixar. I loved Monsters Inc., so I was totally jazzed to see a follow-up even if it's a prequel. And I didn't think it held up as well as Monsters Inc., but it's still a fun, lively, enjoyable flick. The plot isn't anything you haven't seen in other "misfits make good" college comedies, but Pixar still crafts the movie very well. Even the obligatory 3D looks nice, which is more than I can say about most of the 3D movies I've seen this year. So like This Is The End, Monsters University gets three and a half stars and a thumbs up.

Now that that's out of the way, let's see where July takes us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home