Saturday, July 7, 2012

Nights of Fright

I promised another post, and I shall deliver.

I've spoken on occasion in the past that I'm a fan of the Scarefest, a horror movie convention in Lexington, Kentucky. But it isn't the only horror convention in the state. A week ago today, myself, my mom, and a couple of friends of mine made the trip up to Louisville to check out Kentucky's other horror convention, the Fright Night Film Fest. To tell you the truth, I probably would have skipped Fright Night had it not been for one person: Bruce Campbell. Yes, the man himself, Bruce effing Campbell was at the Fright Night Film Fest and I got to meet him. It's been a week and I'm still very happy because of it.

The experience had its highs and lows, though. Meeting some movie stars was fun and I really enjoyed chatting with some of the filmmakers there. And though I've been waving the Bruce Campbell flag, the real highlight of the whole thing was my mom talking my favorite online movie reviewer, Brad "Cinema Snob" Jones, into giving me a phone call about an hour after the doors opened up. Jones had a booth at the show and he was the first person I wanted to meet, and my mom found him before I did and had him call me. That, plus the fact that he was a genuinely nice guy to boot when I actually did meet him, has really made my whole week.

But there were lows to counterbalance the highs, unfortunately. The event seemed uncoordinated and disorganized, like the staff didn't know what they were doing at any given time. Throw in overcrowded corridors and a lack of air conditioning in some parts of the building, and you have an experience that was really unpleasant on occasion.

Did I enjoy myself? Yes, I did. Would I go to the Fright Night Film Fest? Hell no. Not unless they could fix their problems and had guests that I absolutely had to meet. Otherwise I'm sticking with the Scarefest. If you're a fan of horror conventions and you live in the Kentucky area, you can't go wrong with the Scarefest. But as for the Fright Night Film Fest, it was okay, I guess. We'll just have to wait and see what happens next year before I make attending it an annual thing like I have with the Scarefest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home