Monday, August 29, 2011

Sometimes Even Good Movies Do Badly

So as I'm prone to do, I had something I could have posted about lats week and totally forgot about it until right now. Seems like I do that a lot. I keep saying I need to get better at that, but I've always been the kind of guy that, when I get into a routine, it's pretty hard for me to get out of it.

Anyway, since we're here, I might as well get that post out now. I went to see the remake of Fright Night last week, and it actually wasn't that bad at all. Sure, the movie tanked, but it's still a great flick. It's not as scary as it could have been, but it makes up for it by being a lot of fun. Anton Yelchin, David Tennant, and Colin Farrell are all awesome in it, and the effects are really top-notch. The only flaw I could find in it is 3D. I wish I'd seen it in 2D, because Fright Night does absolutely nothing with its 3D. There's one bit during a car chase about halfway through the movie where it looks kinda cool, and one or two instances where characters throw things at the camera (and the audience). But outside of that, the 3D is pointless. The only thing it adds to the movie is an extra few bucks to the ticket price.

But while I didn't like the 3D, I sure as hell liked Fright Night. I'm actually disappointed that it performed so poorly, but that's what happens when you release a horror movie in August. Why not wait until closer to Halloween to release it? Did the distributors not want to go up against Paranormal Activity 3 and the Thing prequel? Sometimes I don't get Hollywood, man. But in any event, Fright Night is still good enough to warrant me giving it a final grade of three and a half stars and a thumbs-up. I do feel bad, though, that I haven't seen the original Fright Night. I'm ashamed of myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home