Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Destination's Only Final When The Sequels Stop

Look at me, the terrible blogger. The guy who can't blog about anything to save his life. One of these days, I'll have to take my own advice and fix that.

But right now, let's just go back to my favorite standby, movies. Yesterday afternoon, I headed out to the local movie theater to check out a showing of Final Destination 5. As corny and contrived as the Final Destination movies are, I'm still a sucker for them. And with FD5 being in 3D, that's just icing on the cake.

If you've seen any of the Final Destination movies, you'll know exactly what you'll be getting in the fifth one. It's really more of the same: people survive a disaster, only to be violently killed in such complicated, outright improbable ways that you'd think Rube Goldberg was a serial killer. But you know what? Final Destination 5 is still a really fun ride. For all of its silliness, dumb characters, and ludicrous plot devices and death scenes, it's an entertaining flick from start to finish.

And it's exactly the kind of 3D movie I enjoy too. It doesn't do any of that Avatar-styled nonsense, where it tries to use the 3D solely for atmosphere. Final Destination 5 instead uses it to throw stuff out at the audience, unapologetically using it for the gimmick that it is. I've always found that the "throw stuff at the screen" 3D was infinitely more fun that the atmospheric kind, and this flick didn't let me down.

No, Final Destination 5 is not a great movie. But if this type of movie is up your alley, you'll totally enjoy it. I sure did. So I'm gonna give it three and a half stars on my usual scale, and totally recommend it.

This week will probably see more trips to the movies. I've got plenty of free time due to how my job scheduled me, and I still want to go see 30 Minutes or Less. And a theater about an hour from here is showing the RiffTrax live show on Wednesday night, and I totally have to see it. So one way or another, there shall be more movies this week, and hopefully more blog posts about them. Because I need to write about something on this poor unloved thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home