Monday, May 23, 2011

Ahoy, Me Mateys

So not long writing after my previous post, my mom and I ventured out to see the newest chapter in the Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise.And at best, it's just okay. It's not a bad movie, but it's just more of the same. It's nothing fans of the series haven't seen before.

The problem with On Stranger Tides is that it's forgettable. I don't remember much of it at all. It's like they found the usual Pirates of the Caribbean formula, eliminated Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom, replaced Bill Nighy's captivating Davy Jones with Ian McShane's boring Blackbeard, and threw it into theaters. And there's even some uninteresting, pointless romantic subplot with a Christian missionary and a mermaid to hammer home the fact that they're only making this movie for the money. (And on the topic of "doing it for the money," did it have to be in 3D? The movie could have worked just fine in 2D.)

It does have its moments, especially considering how good Johnny Depp's performance is. But On Stranger Tides isn't quite as good as it could have been. I'll still give it three stars though, and dismiss it. Maybe I'll appreciate it more when the DVD comes out, I don't know. But we'll have to wait and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home