Monday, February 28, 2011

Screw Art, Let's Drive Angry

While I had a day off from work, I figured I'd brave the bad weather and check out Nicolas Cage's new movie, Drive Angry. I think I might have been one of the only people to have seen it because the movie bombed. But that isn't important right now, because it's an awesome movie. Screw all those negative reviews; Drive Angry is a badass flick.

Okay, it's not a great movie. But it's a hell of a lot of fun, no doubt about it. It's loud and stupid and completely insane, but that's what's so cool about it. Drive Angry is what happens when a movie throws up its hands and says "screw art, let's party." And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I know Nicolas Cage gets a lot of crap for the quality of both his movies and his performances in them. But I really enjoyed his work in Drive Angry a lot. He plays the role like he was one of those grizzled heroes from the grindhouse action movies from the '70s. That pretty much sums up the whole movie: it's an awesome throwback to those old grindhouse flicks. If it were released during the '70s or '80s, it probably would have had the Cannon Films logo in front of it and been produced by Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus. While it sadly doesn't have those, it's still pretty awesome. It's exciting, entertaining, and just plain fun. And thanks to that, I'm going to give Drive Angry four stars on my usual scale. Go see it while you have the chance, because it tanked so badly that I'd be surprised if it's still in theaters by this time next week. And that's a shame, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home