Friday, February 4, 2011

Road Trippin'

I usually spend my free time doing the same ol' things. Either I'm sitting around the house doing nothing, going to see a movie, or writing for my other blog. But this past Monday I did something a wee bit different: I went on a road trip. One of my co-workers was going to drive up to Columbus, Ohio to see his favorite band, Hawthorne Heights, in concert and invited me to come along. Now being only vaguely familiar with the band - I'd heard their name, and that's about it - I wasn't 100% sure if I really wanted to go. But I didn't want the guy to go by himself and end up stranded across state lines by himself. So I figured what the heck, I'd go anyway.

We arrived in Columbus at about 6:30, roughly four hours or so after we'd left. There was plenty of time to kill, since the guys running the door said that Hawthorne Heights wouldn't take the stage until about 10:00. Turns out they didn't even get to do their sound check until 10:30, since a couple of the opening acts ran long. So imagine sitting around in a strange place, stuck listening to mediocre local bands you've never heard of and will never hear of again, waiting to see a band whose songs I'd never heard.

But you know what? I still had a great time. It was a lot of fun, and Hawthorne Heights themselves put on a great show even though their set was kinda short. I don't know if I personally would have driven to the middle of Ohio to see it, but at least the trip didn't suck. Will I ever do something like that again? If it was a band that I'd actually heard of and liked... maybe. We'll just have to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home