Friday, January 14, 2011

A Movie That Stings

It's rare that I get a Friday off from work. A lot of times, it isn't really that big a deal. I mean, I don't have anyone that I regularly hang out with outside of work hours, and there's never anything going on in this neck of the woods. But today was a little bit different. Today I was off from work and actually had something to do: go see The Green Hornet.

I didn't expect a lot from it, since I'm incredibly unfamiliar with the property. I've never heard the Green Hornet radio show, never seen the TV show or film serials, never read the comics. But I dig Seth Rogan, so I had to see the movie. And the verdict is that I liked it a lot. It isn't a perfect movie, and the whole 3D thing is just there to drum up an extra $2.50 a ticket, but I thought the movie turned out really well.

The movie is pretty funny a lot of the time, and the action sequences are very well done. Seriously, the scenes where Jay Chou fights groups of thugs remind me a lot of the slow-motion fights from Jet Li's The One. And considering that I love The One, I'm calling that a compliment. They're really, really cool, no doubt about it.

The only bad thing about the movie is that I just don't see the point of it being in 3D. There's no need for it, especially since the 3D doesn't add anything to the movie eat all. It doesn't add any substantial depth to the visuals, and it doesn't make anything beyond some of the fight scenes look any cooler. The Green Hornet could have worked just as well in 2D, to be truthful.

But regardless, I still thought the movie was pretty good. I don't know if it will hold up as well after multiple viewings, but right now, I'm calling it something worth seeing. So The Green Hornet gets three and a half stars and a thumbs-up. I just hope, though, that Green Hornet 2 will just stick with 2D. There's nothing wrong with 2D movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home