Thursday, December 30, 2010

As Opposed To "False Grit"?

So Christmas has come and gone, and the new year is upon us. I hope everyone had a great holiday season (I know I did), and I also hope that all of you readers have a safe and happy 2011.

To celebrate the upcoming conclusion of 2010, my dad and I headed out to see Joel and Ethan Coen's remake of True Grit this afternoon. And as you can probably guess, the movie was pretty darn cool. But that will happen when you get the Coens and The Dude together.

But yeah, True Grit is a great flick. The Coens' direction is fantastic, and the cast is amazing. The highlights, though, are Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld. Bridges is awesome as the character John Wayne won an Oscar for, playing Rooster Cogburn with a grizzled attitude that makes him one of cinema's coolest antiheroes. Steinfeld is even better, as her earnestness in the role makes her very likable. Steinfeld plays her character as smart, stubborn, and slick-talking, which I thought was a lot of fun. Steinfeld is simply wonderful, no two ways about it.

The long and short of it is that True Grit is worth seeing, especially for Bridges and Steinfeld. But even without them, it's still an fabulous movie, and everyone involved should be proud of themselves. True Grit's not just an awesome remake, but an awesome movie in general. I'm not even really all that into Westerns, and I thought it was amazing. So True Grit gets four stars and  a proud recommendation. Go see it right now. Besides, it has to be better than Little Fockers. That one just looks horrible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home