Friday, June 26, 2009

Maybe This Could Transform Into A Good Movie

As I usually do on the weekends, I went out to catch the latest big movie to be released. This time around was Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and in short, it could have been better.

The problem with the movie was that it had all kinds of flaws. The story is too hard to follow, the acting feels hollow, the action starts blending together after a while, and there are characters and scenes that could have been removed with no negative consequences. Seriously, there's so much stuff they could have cut out of the movie. Did we need the subplot with the pain-in-the-ass bureaucrat annoying the military? Did we need the two Autobots that were bad Jar Jar Binks wannabes? Even I was offended by how racist they were, and I'm a white guy from the south.

You know what else could have been cut? All the scenes with the parents of Shia LaBeouf's character. I didn't think the movie needed the scene where his mom gets high on pot brownies, and they didn't really serve any purpose when they turned up at the end of the movie. They outlived their usefulness after the first twenty minutes of the movie, in all honesty. The same can be said for Shia's roommate, a one-joke character who didn't need to stick around for the entire movie.

Really, the only part of the movie that works is the CGI, which is fantastic. It looks really believable, so I can't complain about that. But pretty CGI can't save an otherwise lame movie. The whole thing is utter nonsense extended for about forty-five minutes longer than it should have lasted. There's no reason for this movie to be two and a half hours long. And I just can't believe that the guys who wrote the Star Trek remake actually wrote this. To wrap this up, I guess I'd give Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen two stars out of the usual five. If I were a Transformers fan, I'd be pissed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home