Saturday, May 2, 2009

Yay, An Unnecessary Prequel!

Wow, has it been so long since my last post? Shame on me. And here I was hoping to improve upon the span between posts. Anyway, I actually have some things to talk about.

Today was Free Comic Book Day, so my mom and I made a point of heading out early and partaking in the festivities at our usual comic book shop. Did you know that you could spend ninety bucks on comic books and still not get all the ones you wanted? Yeah. But I still came home with a pretty good haul, especially considering I managed to score quite a few books for less than two bucks a piece, plus the huge amount of free ones I landed.

After that, we picked up my dad and went to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine. And it was alright, I guess. It could have been better, but it could have been worse too. My problems with the movie can be summed up as such: quite a bit of the CGI looked lousy, the writing could have used work, and the whole movie just felt unnecessary. The whole thing could have been done as a five-minute flashback or soliloquy in X-Men 4, to tell you the truth. I will admit that that I liked Liev Schreiber, I thought Hugh Jackman was good, and Ryan Reynolds was funny. But other that... meh.

Like I said, the CGI needed some improvement. A lot of it looked like it didn't advance much farther past the workprint that was leaked online a while back. And as for the writing, not only does it put a negative dent in the mystique of the cinematic Wolverine, but it feels like the writers just threw whatever they could at the wall to see what would stick. Pointless appearances by Emma Frost and a teenage Cyclops? Replacing the traditional Deadpool with some kind of genetically-altered super-mutant? Whatever.

Honestly, I'd put the movie on about the same level as the Daredevil or Fantastic Four movies. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just adequate. The fight scenes aren't bad and the acting doesn't suck, but for the most part, it's unfortunately forgettable. There's so much room for improvement here. I'd probably give the movie a thumbs-in-the-middle with two and a half stars out of the typical five if I was pressured, but I'll probably have to see it a second time in order to get a more accurate feel of it.

And is it wrong to hope the movie rights for all the Marvel characters revert back to Marvel, just so they can be introduced into the shared cinematic universe that Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk have started building?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home