Saturday, January 17, 2009

Happy (Early) Valentine's Day

I think that I can call today a good day when it comes to my cinematic experiences. Prior to today, I'd never seen a 3-D movie theatrically. I'd barely even seen one on video, because the 3-D segment of Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare is pretty lame. But that changed early this afternoon, when I headed out to see the remake of the '80s slasher movie My Bloody Valentine. I enjoyed the original movie, and all the advertisements for the remake had me excited, so I knew I had to see it. The only real hassle about the whole thing was that the only theater around showing it in 3-D was an hour's drive away. And if I wanted to see the movie the way it was intended to be seen. I'd have to take the journey and pay the offensively inflated ticket prices of Lexington's Fayette Mall theater. Seriously their ticket prices are double what the local theaters here charge. That's just nuts.

Anyway, about the movie. I don't know how the 2-D version will be able to pull some of the gags off, like things being thrown at the camera and things of that nature. But since I got to see the 3-D version, nothing is lost in translation, and it makes for a very fun experience. And it helps that the movie is a really solid slasher movie too. It's definitely a better throwback to the '80s style than that overrated piece of crap Hatchet. It benefits from a solid cast, some quality scares and violence, and neat direction. The movie's final twist had me expecting to hear the Saw theme song, considering how it detailed just how the killer was able to pull everything off, but I can't say that I had any major problems with the movie.

I know all the other horror fans on the Internet like to rag on remakes, but I felt that My Bloody Valentine turned out to be pretty good. Believe it or not, I think I actually liked it more than I did the original. I believe I'll give it three and a half stars out of the usual five, along with a thumbs up. And I might actually have to go scope out the 2-D version, just to see how it holds up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home