Friday, December 12, 2008

The Day The Blog Stood Still

I once again headed out to the movies, this time to see the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still. Having never seen more than just a few minutes of the original movie, I didn't really have any sort of expectations for this new interpretation of the old classic. And after watching it, I can safely say that the remake is just "okay."

I didn't hate the movie, but I'm unable to rave about it either. I'm actually rather ambivalent towards it. It's a serviceable movie, although it is an ultimately mediocre one as well. That's a real bummer too, because movies that are either one extreme or the other are more fun to right about. It's kinda hard to get worked up over a movie where your opinion can be summed up with the phrase, "eh, it was alright." Know what I mean?

The movie has both its good spots and its bad spots. The acting is hit or miss, with Kathy Bates and Jaden Smith being the weakest. Seriously, I didn't see any purpose for Smith's character to be in the movie at all, and his blah acting didn't help things. The ending was also rather anticlimactic, and the whole thing ends up feeling hollow. It's a shame too, because the movie could have been great. So I'm just going to give it a thumbs in the middle with three stars on my usual five-star scale. It's an acceptable way to kill two hours if you can get into the theater at a cheap price, but if you don't see it, you aren't really missing a whole lot.

And the trailer they ran for the new Wolverine movie coming out next May? Consider my ticket for the movie already purchased.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home