Monday, October 20, 2008

Joy Rides And Nature Shows

I got around to watching a few movies with my dad this weekend, so why not talk about them here? You ready?

First up is the direct-to-video sequel Joy Ride 2: Dead Ahead. I was a fan of the original Joy Ride back in 2001, and though I was mystified by the fact that it took seven years for a sequel to pop up, I will admit that I was looking forward to seeing it. And I didn't think it was all that bad.

Of course, it is not without flaws. But that's to be expected from a direct-to-video horror sequel. My biggest complaint, though, was the fact that the villainous Rusty Nail has been recast. Nothing against the actor playing him here, but I'd have much preferred having Ted Levine return. What, was he too busy doing Monk that he couldn't come in and record fifteen or twenty minutes of dialogue for Joy Ride 2?

But other than that, I can't really say that I thought it was a bad movie. I actually enjoyed it. Mark Gibbon, the actor playing Rusty Nail, is acceptable, and Nicky Aycox does a really good job. There's also some decent stunts and good action too, so I think I'll give Joy Ride 2: Dead Ahead three stars. It isn't as good as the original movie, but this'll do.

The second movie my dad and I watched this weekend was Strange Wilderness. You probably haven't heard of the movie, but that's more than likely due to the fact that it was a massive box office failure when it was released back in February. To be fair, it did end up turning a small profit, but its stay in theaters was forgettable and unremarkable. Seriously, it only played around here (and apparently, in most theaters) for a mere two weeks. But that's probably for the best, because Strange Wilderness induces more groans than laughs.

Yeah, there are some funny parts, but they end up being few and far between. Lead actor Steve Zahn does his best to hold everything together, though despite his efforts, he ultimately can't stop the movie from falling apart. And that's terrible. My final rating is two stars on the Five-Star Sutton Scale, and a recommendation that you do as big a bong hit as you can if you plan on enjoying the movie. I did it straight and... yeah.

And that's pretty much it for now. I really need to get back to working on my "Super Saturday 2" reviews. I got one movie in the mail on Friday, and I have yet to actually sit down and watch it. So yeah, I think I'm going to attend to that soon. Those reviews aren't going to write themselves, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home