Friday, October 24, 2008

Games Psychos Play

I got back from seeing Saw V about a half an hour ago, and my initial reaction to the movie is that I enjoyed it. Well, I enjoyed it about as much as I could without coming across as a would-be serial killer. I was hoping for a good movie after the frustration of trying to fight my way through a theater lobby filled with a crowd of literally 18,402 children who were there to see High School Musical 3, and I don't think I was disappointed. Seriously, couldn't High School Musical 3 have aired exclusively on the Disney Channel like the first two, and spared me the struggle of having to swim through a sea of kids so I could watch an R-rated horror movie?

But enough about that. All truth be told, Saw V is an odd entry into the franchise. The movie features two concurrent storylines, one seeming to borrow from Saw II's "trap house" story and the other establishing the methods to Jigsaw's successor's madness. It's like we're watching a traditional Saw movie and a horror movie villain's origin story at the same time. And to tell you the truth, I thought Saw V was a solid movie that offered all I could hope for out a movie like this. I also thought it helped that it boasts some good direction, a lack of the awful moments of shaky camerawork and choppy editing that are an unfortunate staple of the franchise, and actors who are committed to their roles. I definitely approve, and will give Saw V three and a half stars and a thumbs up. The only bad part about it is that it left me with the feeling that there was more to learn about the movie, like they were bringing up questions that they have no intention of answering until Saw VI next year. But hey, all the more reason to keep following the series, right?

One of the most exciting parts of the movie, humorously enough, were the trailers that preceded it. Rolling in front of Saw V were the previews for Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, the remake of Friday the 13th, Punisher: War Zone, and the 3-D remake of My Bloody Valentine. I'm on the fence about Underworld, but do you think it's too early to go wait in line for the other three movies?

Or would that be too nerdy, even for me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home