Thursday, October 23, 2008

All Aboard The Pineapple Express

Like a goon, I've been spending more time watching all those movies I've downloaded than I've been spending on that gigantic pile of movies I've been working on since freaking June. Most professional reviewers could probably write more reviews in four hours than I could in four months. I'm such a slacker. But I guess I can use some of these movies I've been watching to add content to the blog. Yes, I know I did a post just like this on Monday, bite me.

Anyway, first in line is Pineapple Express. As much as I wanted to see this in theaters, I missed out on it for one reason or another. But thanks to the wondrous creation that is the Internet, I've finally gotten to see it. Upon watching it, my initial reaction was sadness that I missed it during its theatrical run. It's nothing short of hilarious. I never thought that someone would be able to blend stoner comedies and action movies, but Judd Apatow's crew did it.

Pineapple Express is one of those incredibly rare stoner movies where you don't feel like you need to smoke a whole bunch of pot in order for the movie to achieve full entertainment value. It actually works if you're completely and totally sober, which is a nice change of pace that I wish most movies like this should shoot for. Not everybody who watches these movies is a pothead, after all.

If there's something specific that I can point at and say, "that's what makes Pineapple Express work," it would be the team of Seth Rogan and James Franco. Their comedic timing together is perfect, and just about anything either of them does is hilarious. And even at two hours long, there are no real lulls in the movie. It never really slowed down long enough for me to get bored with it, never letting more than a couple of minutes go by without some kind of joke. And that's the sign of a comedy that's trying to be the best it can be, folks. On my patent-pending Five-Star Sutton Scale, I guess I'll give Pineapple Express four stars. And that Huey Lewis song over the credits? It rules.

Up next was the slasher movie Return to Sleepaway Camp, Robert Hiltzik's sequel to the cult favorite he directed in 1986. Well, to be truthful, I was going to watch it, but I had to turn it off after just five minutes because it was so ungodly terrible. I couldn't bring myself to watch any more of the movie. Maybe I'll give it another shot later this weekend, but holy crap, did those five minutes suck. I made it only to the second scene before I wanted to throw a brick through my television. So anyway, I don't really think I can give it a ranking as I typically would. But hopefully I actually can watch it all the way through soon. And I'll have to hide my stash of bricks, just in case. I mean, I don't have the money to go buy a new TV right now.

You hear me, Return to Sleepaway Camp? You'd better stop being so crappy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home