Sunday, September 14, 2008

Would The Sequel Be "Thailand Perilous"?

Just figured I'd preface this post by saying that the power came on about 45 minutes ago, right when I finished writing the last words of the previous post into my notebook. So I figured I'd go ahead and post what I'd written in my notebook, then continue the story in this post.

Anyway, I was going on a pretty decent writing roll with that last post, so let's keep that momentum going. As I was saying before the electricity kicking on interrupted me, Moses and I were reading selected issues from the Spider-Man portion of my comic book collection when we were hit with the idea to go see a movie. The theater is in the next county, so we figured that if the power outage affected them to, then at least we got to kill some time.

We ended up seeing Bangkok Dangerous, Nicolas Cage's newest action movie. The movie has been less than successful, combining negativity from the critics with a lack of money made at the box office. But I'll readily admit that I'm a fan of Cage's work, no matter how bad or how cheesy his movies can get, so what did I think of Bangkok Dangerous? I liked it. I didn't fall head over heels in love with it, but I thought it was a flawed yet fun movie.

There isn't a whole lot going on in regards to plot or character development or any of that stuff. But as someone who enjoys the occasional nonsensical action movie, especially one starring Nicolas Cage, I thought it was endearing in a goofy kind of way. All I really expected was a movie about a hired assassin who shot lots of people in Thailand, and that's exactly what I got. I guess I'll give it a score of three and a half stars on my patent-pending Five-Star Sutton Scale, along with an advisory to go see it soon if you're interested in it at any way. Considering the movie hasn't really been financially successful, I doubt a lot of theaters will carry it for much longer.

So I think I can say without much exaggeration that it's been a weird kind of day, to say the least. I don't know if I would care to repeat it, outside of the trip to the movies, but I think it might be a day worth remembering. I also have to say that I enjoy writing posts during power outages. I don't know why exactly, but it makes me feel like I have more of a chance to use more of my imagination while I'm writing these things. Not once in the nearly seven years since the MSX's initial launch have I ever really considered myself all that talented of a blogger. I don't know what it is, but these rare instances of the electricity going out, it feels like I'm writing a different kind of post than the ones I usually crank out. As much as I hate to say it, maybe it would be in the best interests of this poor blog if the power went out more often?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home