Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Can I Get A Celebrity Endorsement Too?

With the race to the White House now in full swing, I guess it's inevitable that we're going to be seeing an incredible amount of celebrities coming out to support Barack Obama. (Because let's face it, the only Republicans in Hollywood are Arnold Schwarzenegger and Stephen Baldwin.) But I really don't see why it's so important for celebrities to publicly endorse a Presidential candidate.

Yeah, I can understand that maybe they want to use their influence to sway people to vote. But what makes a celebrity's opinion so important anyway? Why should anybody care who Oprah Winfrey is voting for? Some stupid women out there may view Oprah as God Herself, but just because she's pulling for one candidate over another doesn't mean a thing to me.

Am I really supposed to vote for someone just because a celebrity says I should? Screw that crap. That's stupid. I'll admit that I've never voted and I'm not really in a rush to register, but if I did, my vote would not be based on who Oprah or George Clooney or whoever told me to vote for. I'd vote for the candidate who I thought would screw up the least. Maybe I'd even throw my vote away by picking Ralph Nader. Things could go in any direction, and that's what makes the democratic process so awesome.

And do you remember Puff Daddy's "Vote or Die" campaign from four years ago? Total crap. Maybe it should have been "Vote or I'll Kill You." If Puff Daddy started threatening to kill people if they didn't vote like in that one episode of South Park, more people would get out there and do it. Maybe I should become famous and do something like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home