Monday, July 28, 2008

Is It Too Early To Camp Out At The Theater?

I know I've said it a million times in my reviews over at "Sutton At The Movies," but I've noticed that the latest trend in Hollywood over the last few years is to do remakes of horror movies. Ever since The Ring hit it big in 2002, it seems like everybody wants to do these remakes. It started out with just international horror with stuff like The Ring and The Grudge, but then Hollywood branched out into American horror. There's been at least twenty remakes of American horror movies this decade alone, not to mention the remakes of movies of other genres. So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when it was announced that Michael Bay was going to be producing a remake of Friday the 13th.

I've never made it a secret that I'm a fan of the Friday the 13th franchise. I have been since I was ten years old. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of going to the local mom and pop video store and renting as many of them as I could. And I still haven't forgiven my dad for not taking me to see Jason Goes To Hell when it came out in theaters. (So what if I was only eleven years old? I was for sure it was going to be the last one, and I didn't want to miss it.) Over the years, I've followed Jason Voorhees's escapades from Crystal Lake to New York City to Hell and to outer space, followed him through epic battles with a Carrie wannabe, Freddy Krueger, and a comic book brouhaha with Bruce Campbell. Because of my affection for the franchise, this is the first remake that actually had me worried.

But then along came the San Diego Comic-Con, or as it should be called, the "Nerd Prom" (™ Stacie Ponder). Footage from the Friday the 13th remake was shown at Comic-Con this week, and of course you know that footage was going to show up on YouTube. I did see that footage last night, and it's made a good first impression so far. I'm sure a full-fledged trailer will end up in front of either Mirrors or Saw V (if not both), but as it stands right now, I'm pretty excited.

I'm just counting the days until February 13th, 2009. And you guys making this movie had better not let me down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home