Friday, July 4, 2008

And I Thought Iron Man Was The Drunk Superhero

Happy fourth of July, everybody. I hope all of my fellow Americans have had a great day. Me, I've had a fine one, thanks for asking. Didn't get to see any fireworks, but it's no big deal. You don't really need fireworks to have a rockin' Independence Day. (Though it helps!)

I actually celebrated the holiday by doing what I do most weekends: I went to the movies. Yeah, it's my usual routine, so what? Anyway, I went out and saw Hancock, the new superhero movie starring Will Smith. Now I know Hancock has been getting some pretty mixed reviews, but I had to go and see it for myself. I'm a sucker for superheroes, what can I say? And I have to admit that I liked the movie, for sure.

Smith is really entertaining, as always, and Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron are both likable too. The only problem with Hancock is that after the mid-movie twist, it can't seem to maintain the adrenaline level it had built up during the first half. Once that twist occurs, things start going crazy. The tone of the movie completely changes from an irreverent action/comedy into a more serious drama-oriented superhero movie. It's kind of jarring once you notice it, especially since it ends up leading to a climax that feels rushed and ultimately, not as satisfying as it could have been. The fact that the movie got cut down from an R-rating to a PG-13 rating seems a little obvious too, since there feels like there should be a little more to the movie than what there is. They'll probably restore all of the excised material for an unrated director's cut when it comes time to release Hancock on DVD, but I really wish it had been left in the movie's theatrical release.

Flaws and inconsistencies aside, I'll fess up to having a lot of fun watching Hancock. I wouldn't call it the best superhero movie of the summer so far, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth watching. I guess I'd give Hancock three and a half stars on my patent-pending Five Star Sutton Scale, and a certain thumbs up. Now I just need to get around to seeing Wall-E...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home