Saturday, March 22, 2008

Watching The Watchmen

I've made it no secret over the last couple of months that I like comic books. All the cool kids do, after all. And if there's one comic that fans and non-fans should read, it's Alan Moore's Watchmen. First released in 1986 as a twelve-issue series, Watchmen is one of those books that just blows you away as soon as you open it up.

So of course, it was only a matter of time before somebody got the bright idea to turn it into a movie. It was in developmental hell for years, but hey, at least it got made. Anyway, about two and a half weeks ago, they released pictures of all but one of the main characters in their costumes. Go check out those pictures here, if you have yet to see them. I've read different opinions from different people around the Internet, so I guess I might as well throw in my two cents as well.

What do I think about them? I think they look good. They'll probably look better in action on the big screen, but I dig them already. I've heard some people complaining that the costumes look too modern, considering that the comics and the movie take place in 1985. And those people do make a good point. The costumes look like leftovers from the wardrobe department of the four Burton/Schumacher Batman movies. But could there be deeper reasons behind that? Watchmen was a well-noted satire of '80s society, so maybe Zack Snyder and everyone else involved with the movie are trying to poke fun at the costumes in other cinematic superhero movies? That could totally be a possibility, couldn't it?

But I must say that the pictures have gotten me excited. I can't wait to see a Watchmen movie. Heck, I can't wait until the first preview for it gets released. (Since DC published the Watchmen comics, I wouldn't be surprised if they debuted the preview in front of The Dark Knight this summer.) Having seen and liked Zack Snyder's other two movies, I have full confidence that Watchmen will be great. But I guess we won't know just how it will turn out until next year.

Man, it's going to be a long year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Wow I had no idea they were finally making the Watchmen movie. How very cool.

April 9, 2008 at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home