Monday, February 18, 2008

Left High And Dry

I've made it no secret that I'm a fan of pro wrestling, and about a week and a half ago, there was a real bummer of an announcement. As of February 7th, WWE has ended its relationship with Ohio Valley Wrestling, and all WWE-contracted talent in OVW will be transferred to WWE's developmental territory down in Florida by the end of the month. OVW is going to stay open, but with the majority of their talent heading to Florida, their roster is going to be a little bare. They've got plenty of people in their training program, but I don't know how many of them are ready for prime time, so to speak.

As an OVW fan, this is a real downer. Up until the announcement, there was a certain novelty to watching OVW's TV show and live events during their time as part of WWE's developmental program. Watching an indy promotion and knowing that many of its performers could be called up to the big leagues at any time was neat. Seeing a handful of current WWE wrestlers in my neck of the woods before they were famous was very cool. But without WWE backing them, they're just another independant promotion. I'm not sure I can see them matching the cult popularity of, say, Ring of Honor or ECW's early days, but here's hoping that they can.

1 Comments:

Blogger happyjoebennett said...

I can't tell you how bummed I was about this.

February 19, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home