Saturday, October 27, 2007

Let's Play A Game... Again

For the second weekend in a row, I decided to head out to the cinemas and check out a new horror movie in preparation for Halloween. This week's adventure into the genre was Saw IV, which I'd been looking forward to since it was announced last year. And I figure that I might as well talk about it for a little while.

I might as well come right out and say that I'm not sure if Saw IV is a sequel that needed to be made. Don't get me wrong, I love the Saw movies and I'll see a hundred Saw movies if they make them. But outside of one or two loose ends, Saw III was a pretty high note for the franchise to have gone out on. That said, I thought this fourth movie was entertaining enough. It might be a little too complex for its own good, but I thought that it was solid for the most part. The cast tries hard, the direction is fine as usual, and the traps are as creative as you'd expect. But there's something about it that makes it not as good as its predecessors. I wish I could put my finger on exactly what that something is, but right now, I'm stumped.

That's not to say I didn't like the movie, though. It's got everything one would expect from the franchise, which - depending on your personal opinion of the Saw movies - may or may not be a good thing. As a fan, I have to say that even in spite of its flaws, I did like Saw IV. And after that ending, it has me wondering just what the hell they'll do with Saw V. I guess we'll see next Halloween. But I'll give Saw IV three stars, as well as a recommendation to primarily the most diehard of fans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home