Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Late Night At The Drive-In

Man, has it been a long night. My dad and I just got back from the drive-in theater over in Harrodsburg, and I was quite happy to get home and stretch. As much as I like drive-ins, the numb butt one gets from sitting in a car for six or seven hours is a bit much to endure. But regardless, it was a fun time.

We ended up being the first ones there, getting there right as the ticket booth opened up at 7:00. It was a little awkward to sit in this empty field for an hour by ourselves before anybody else arrived, but we managed to pass the time without getting too bored. People did eventually start showing up, I should note, but I think there were only ten or twelve other cars there total. It's probably because mid-October isn't really known for good drive-in weather. If this had been one of the summer months, the place probably would have been packed. Though in any event, it was still fun.

The two movies featured tonight were Mr. Woodcock and the remake of 3:10 To Yuma. That doesn't sound like a natural doubleheader, I'll admit, but I'm not going to argue with two movies for five bucks. First up was Mr. Woodcock, which I thought was really funny. It's better than School For Scoundrels, at least. Billy Bob Thornton and Seann William Scott are great and Ethan Suplee is funny in his minor role, and the movie as a whole is entertaining. So I'll give it a thumbs up with three and a half stars on the Sutton Scale.

After Mr. Woodcock and the trailers for the One Missed Call remake and National Treasure 2, it was time for the second half of the show, 3:10 To Yuma. I'll admit that I didn't really have a whole lot of interest in it, simply because I'm not all that big of a western enthusiast. I like Tombstone, but that's about as far as it goes. But I figured that since Christian Bale and Russell Crowe are in it, it couldn't have been too bad. Turns out that I actually liked it a lot. Everyone in the cast does a great job, with Ben Foster nearly stealing the show, the direction is solid, and the music is well done. It's definitely a movie I would have paid the full seven bucks to see in an indoor theater, for sure. I'll give 3:10 To Yuma four stars on my Sutton Scale, so go check it out if it's still playing in your neck of the woods.

And since it's so late, I think I'm going to wrap this up and head to bed. Besides, that bucket of popcorn I had at the drive-in isn't sitting too well with me. There's a reason I don't take butter on my popcorn. So anyway, good night, and remember to support your local drive-in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home