Sunday, June 17, 2007

Drive-In Goodness

Just got back from the drive-in theater in Stanford, and man, I'm sleepy. This will probably be a short one, but we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, the drive-in was showing a double feature of Surf's Up and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. The theme, in case you're a dimwit that couldn't tell, is that both of them feature surfers in some form or fashion. (Of course, dorky me is probably the only person who noticed or cared that Brian Posehn had minor roles in both of them too.) So let's break down what I thought about the flicks, okay?

First in line was Surf's Up, the most recent entry in the lucrative "animated penguin" genre. Really, this is a movie that could have been done live-action, and it wouldn't have made any difference at all. It didn't really need penguins or animation. But what do I know, I'm not the one that made the thing. Regardless, I thought it was entertaining in spite of some really predictable parts. It made me laugh, so it did it was supposed to do. The final verdict is three and a half stars.

Up next, after the intermission, was Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Maybe it was just the entertaining atmosphere making a silly B-movie more entertaining than it really is, but I liked the movie. It's a very simple story, one that didn't feature a whole lot of plot or character development, but I thought it was a lot of fun. There were a few instances where the CGI work seemed awfully unconvincing (the dance scene at the beginning, for example), but for the most part, it wasn't too distracting. I'd probably put it on the same level as Spider-Man 3; it's not a great movie, but I wouldn't call it a bad one either. So the final verdict is three stars.

In any regards, I'm quite glad I got the opportunity to do the whole drive-in thing again. It's worth experiencing at least once. And lucky me, there's two drive-ins within 45 minutes of here.

I just wish I could get to some more midnight movies. There's a theater up in Lexington that runs midnight movies every weekend during the summer months, and according to their website, they've got The Big Lebowski, a 3-D showing of Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Shaun of the Dead, and the original Friday the 13th all lined up over the next five or six weeks. I might have to call in a few favors and/or kiss the asses of the right people, because even though I own them on DVD and have seen them a million times, I really want to see Rocky Horror, Shaun of the Dead, and Friday the 13th on the big screen. Atmosphere is an important thing when it comes to movies, after all, and seeing them in a theater would be so much fun. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home