Thursday, April 19, 2007

Where Do I Begin With Pulse?

I got Pulse in the mail from Netflix in the mail yesterday, and after watching it once, I think it's going to be one of those "disappointingly bad" kind of reviews. Those are the toughest to write. Watching Pulse, I can see that it has so much potential to be a great movie. There's a very good movie inside it, desperately longing to be free. But unfortunately, what we've got isn't exactly what I'd call a good movie. I don't even know if I'd call it mediocre. It's just kinda... there. And that's terrible.

I hate writing "disappointingly bad" reviews. If I'm going to write a negative review about a movie, I'd much rather the movie be the kind of bad that makes me angry when I think about it. Not the kind of bad that makes me say, "Aw, what a wasted opportunity." That's what bugs me so much about Pulse, because it's really hard for me to pin my finger on what went wrong with it. Was it the direction? The script? The cast? A combination of things? I don't know. But what I do know is that they could have done something great with Pulse, but failed. It's like having two plus two ready to go, but not being able to come up with four.

The thing is, I want to like Pulse. I really and truly do. But I can't. And I don't really know where to begin when it comes to writing about it. I've barely gotten past the opening paragraph. Then again, nobody ever said this writing thing would be easy. I'm sure I'll come up with something. I usually do. It just might take me a little longer than usual.

1 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

I was thinking about this, and sometimes when I do my Movie Notes (I can hardly call what I do full reviews) the disappointing movies are some of the most fun to write about. Daredevil, for example, was a lot of fun for me to rip on. Granted, a truly terrible movie like Bloodrayne is more fun to destroy, but there are some benefits.

The only time it really sucks is when I was super excited to see a movie. So if Grindhouse had turned out to be awful I would have been really crestfallen, and it would have been hard to do my notes.

Either way, I always love reading your stuff.

April 21, 2007 at 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home