Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A License To Print Money

So when I wasn't finishing up that Pulse review and watching Heroes, I was catching up on some reading. Specifically, "Batman: The Killing Joke" out of DC's "The Stories of Alan Moore" compilation. I absolutely love "The Killing Joke," and the more I read it, the more I start to imagine how it would look as an episode of the old Batman animated series. I was thinking about that earlier, so I hope DC Comics is reading this because I'm going to pitch them an idea.

Bruce Timm announced at Comic-Con last year that he was planning to do a direct-to-video animated adaptation of the "Death and Return of Superman" storyline. If this is a success, I'd like to see DC start doing feature-length animated versions of classic stories out of the comics. Like take "The Killing Joke" or "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", maybe even "Superman: Red Son" or "The Dark Knight Returns," do an animated movie based on it, then make a big deal out of its release. Maybe even show it on Cartoon Network or Boomerang around the time of its release as a promotional tool.

It could be something in the vein of the animated movies Marvel has done lately with Iron Man and the Avengers; maybe even DC could go as far as to release one or two animated movies a year to coincide with whatever superhero is getting a live-action theatrical film around that time. That would be something I could get behind. Of course, this is all just wishful thinking. And I'm sure that if DC did take this idea and run with it, it'd more than likely all hinge upon the success of that initial "Death of Superman" release. But here's hoping that this is something DC and the Warner Brothers animation department considers. That is, if they want great big truckfuls of cash to be delivered to their doorstep. Because it's a license to print money, folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home