Tuesday, April 3, 2007

I Loves Me Some WWE-Produced DVDs

It's still raining outside. It's not as hard as it was a few hours ago, so I think it's about to let up. There's a few-and-far-between instances of lightning, but not enough to really amount to anything. So yeah, I think the thunderstorm has, for the most part, passed.

Anyway, I was going through the wrestling DVDs in my collection earlier, and I got to thinking about a post I made back in January. And upon reflection, I really wish I could have free reign in WWE's tape library for maybe a week. WWE has so much footage, I figure they could start their own full-fledged network, and run through every hour of it and not have to worry about repeating anything for about a decade. They could start the WWE Network and make it a premium channel like HBO or Cinemax, and I'd definitely subscribe to it, mainly because I don't get that "WWE 24/7" video-on-demand thing. And really, isn't video-on-demand be the same thing as pay-per-view? Because it sure sounds like it.

They've already done DVDs about ECW and the AWA, which are both awesome, and DVDs about quite a few individual wrestlers that I still need to get around to buying. (Why I don't already own most of them, I have no idea.) But there's still quite a lot they can do with the library. Take, for example, the box sets they've done for all the WrestleManias and the Royal Rumbles. I'm sure they'll get around to doing SummerSlam and Survivor Series box sets too, but what I'd really like to see is something similar to what they did with WrestleMania 3. Just take a single classic pay-per-view event from any of the promotions they own and do a fancy release for it. Even a bare-bones release would suffice, like the DVD of Barely Legal that they included with last year's One Night Stand.

They could also reprise the idea behind the cage match compilation and do compilations of certain gimmick matches. Don't tell me you wouldn't by a DVD featuring nothing but War Games matches. (Though if they did do a War Games DVD, I wouldn't expect them to include the one match WCW billed as "War Games 2000: Russo's Revenge," where they used the three-tiered cage from Ready To Rumble. I'll also admit that I'd really like to see WWE use that gimmick sometime.) I hear rumors that they're doing a ladder match compilation, so I don't think there's anything stopping them from doing a DVD of casket matches or even just one of any random gimmick match they could put together. Like they could segue from a street fight to a cage match, then to an I Quit match before going to a barbed wire match.

But those are just ideas. I really don't expect WWE's home video department to ever read this and use my suggestions, but there's no harm in a little wishful thinking. Besides, WWE is doing a great job with their releases as it is. They've got so many out there that I want, I'm almost glad I'm perpetually broke. Because if I did have money to burn, I'd go back to being broke because I'd be buying DVDs like crazy. But I guess that's the circle of life.

Or something like that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

If I had any pull with those people I'd totally put you in charge of that whole division. It sounds like you would produce a lot of neat things that I would want to see.

As for the Wargames comp. I'd hope they'd stick to the earlier ones rather than the later ones. The one from Fall Brawl 98 was among the worst matches of any type I've ever seen.

April 4, 2007 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

Yeah, War Games '98 was kinda stupid. It wouldn't have been too bad if it hadn't been for all the Hogan/Warrior nonsense or the crazy rule changes (adding pinfalls; the match can end before everybody's entered the match), it was at the very least a lackluster match.

April 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home