Thursday, March 15, 2007

Writing Woes

If you read Monday's post, you'll remember that I had a whole lot of writing lined up when it came to "Sutton At The Movies." And lately, I've also been thinking about another kind of writing. You guessed it, I'm talking about my attempt at writing a feature film.

While I've come up with a few scenes (two of which borrow from Dane Cook's "nothing fights" and Monopoly bits) and I have a huge .txt file of dialogue I'd like to incorporate, I'm struggling when it comes to thinking up ways to connect these scenes or even think up a real plot without shamelessly ripping off another movie. I know I've said I wanted to do a movie similar to a few other movies that I like, but when it comes right down to it, sometimes substance has to outweigh style.

Keeping my struggles in mind, I often wonder if I'd be better off letting someone else write the thing while I focused on directing. Of course, I'd want to make a few contributions to the writing process, but sometimes a person just has to admit what their strengths and weaknesses are.

I've even thought about downloading an unproduced script off SimplyScripts.com and turning that into a movie. But the ones I've read don't really appeal to me as a movie lover, and I just can't see myself making something that doesn't have my own little personal touches on it. Besides, if I do make a movie written by somebody else, I'd rather it be written by someone I know whose talents I appreciate, not some random, faceless person whose half-assed script I downloaded off the Internet. I'm picky about this sort of thing.

But I figure that if I ever actually do get serious about this whole "making a movie" thing, I'll have to weigh all of my options first. This sort of thing isn't something I can just do halfway and just stop once I get bored or the going gets too tough. But I think this going to take a whole heck of a lot of work if I'm going to go through with it. As stated, options are going to have to be weighed. We'll just have to see how it goes, if it goes anywhere. I've got to use my potential for something, don't I?

4 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

You have unlimited potential! I know you'll make a huge splash whichever way you choose to go. I can feel it in my bones.

March 15, 2007 at 11:10 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I'll do full frontal nudity. There, I said it. Make your movie.

March 17, 2007 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

Uh... thanks for the information?

March 17, 2007 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

It ... could ... work!

March 18, 2007 at 2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home