Saturday, March 10, 2007

Rest In Peace, Cap

Wow, I haven't posted since Tuesday. I was on a roll there for a while, and then no posts for several days. What happened? I'm such a slacker. To be totally honest, I almost made a post the other day about Captain America, and now I don't know why I didn't. But since everybody else in the blogosphere is posting about Cap's death, I might as well throw in my two cents as well. Why not?

Since I'm not a very devout comic book reader, I don't really know exactly how to feel about the whole situation. But am I the only one that gets the impression that the whole thing is rather senseless? Why would Marvel want to kill off one of its greatest heroes? To sell a few comics based on shock value alone? To get a little attention after the Civil War's lame resolution? I really don't know for sure.

Color me skeptical, but I think Cap will be resurrected eventually. Yeah, it was a pretty decisive death, but look at what happened to Jason Todd. I'm sure somebody will get the idea to resurrect the Captain America gimmick with someone else wearing the costume, but it just isn't the same unless it's Steve Rogers. It's like when somebody wore the Batman outfit while Bruce Wayne was laid up with a broken back. Bruce Wayne is the only Batman I'll accept, and Steve Rogers is the only Captain America I'll accept. If they do keep the Captain America gimmick going, then they should find a way to keep Steve Rogers in the role. Whether it be reviving him through supernatural means, or getting some kind of vital signs and sticking him in a red, white, and blue Iron Man suit to keep him alive, or something, I'm sure some writer will figure out how to do it. Besides, I'm sure interest in Cap's comics would go up around the time his movie comes out, and I don't believe it'd be in Marvel's best interests to keep such a big-name character dead while his movie (hopefully) does big business at the box office. So for that reason alone, I'm sure Cap will be back by the end of the decade.

But that's just one guy's opinion.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Not to go all Mick Foley on you and plug, but I'm certainly going to have quite a few words on the Captain America death when I do my Monday comics reviews. Suffice it to say for now though, it's just a dumb move.

Especially it just being one single bullet to take Cap out, I thought he was WAY tougher than that.

March 11, 2007 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

Yay! Return of the Sutton! Woo hoo.

I'm in complete agreement with you, as you've already seen in my posts and in our previous conversation. And what you say about the movie tie-in stuff makes perfect sense, too.

They just piss me off.

March 11, 2007 at 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home