Friday, March 30, 2007

One More Movie Idea

I've been doing some more thinking lately about my whole "writing a script" thing. I was having trouble coming up with a solid plot, but I did manage to think up another decent concept. You know the old writers' axiom, "write what you know"? That hit me yesterday, and it was then I thought up the idea to write a movie inspired by the three semesters I spent in college.

Of course, I'd probably have to give the college a fake name and I'd probably have to give everyone different names just so nobody would get upset and sue me, but if I made it, I'd hope to actually film it at the school itself. But what I'm worried about is that the college might not be exactly as I remembered it. Newer buildings have been added; older buildings have been torn down. But I think that this is something that could write itself if I could think up the proper narrative. Do I do it like Van Wilder? Do I do it like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, with a story for every character? Or how about something like PCU? I know right away I can rule out doing something like Animal House or Revenge of the Nerds or anything with fraternities or sororities, since my old college doesn't allow them. (Though anyone who knew me and my crew back then could argue that the whole second floor of my dormitory was one big unofficial frat house, considering the way we all acted.) But I'm sure that if I really put myself to it, I'm sure I could knock something out.

What really grinds my gears about the whole thing is that I have a good idea for a funny scene, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it. See, me and my buddies once sat around the lobster tank at Wal-Mart late one night, watching this one punkass lobster pick fights with all the other lobsters. We sat there for a good fifteen, twenty minutes laughing our heads off, trying to convince the other lobsters to stop taking that one's crap. That could have been a great scene in a movie if it was pulled off right, but since I don't think Wal-Mart has lobster tanks anymore, there goes that. It also bums me out that the neighborhood's best hangouts when I was there, the local bakery and the apartment above it, were torn down a year or two ago. I'd have totally included the building in the movie, but just my luck, it's a vacant lot as far as I know.

I have to admit that the idea of writing a movie around my old stomping grounds is promising. If I did write it and eventually filmed it, I'd probably have to do it during the summer months to avoid interfering with the academic process. (That is, assuming I got permission to do it from the school in the first place.) I could even pull some strings with some old acquaintances and try drafting the campus TV and radio station's crew into service as a movie crew. But I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I think something like this could work. I don't know for sure if it would, but it could. As always, we'll see how this goes from here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

This sounds like a great idea! I totally think you should try it.

The lobster tank is just too unique and potentially memorable to discard. If it isn't at Wal Mart, you could use it in a restaraunt somewhere. But I'd definitely keep it in.

March 31, 2007 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

You should set the movie during a trial, and have a whole line-up of character witnesses going over the defendant's life. The catch? See how long you can go without mentioning what the crime is.

April 1, 2007 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

And at the end, the big twist would that the crime is something silly like jaywalking.

April 1, 2007 at 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home