Saturday, February 24, 2007

Too Many Ideas, Not Enough Time

I've been feeling awfully emo lately, and it sucks. I'm afraid if I get any worse, I'm going to end up dressing like Rivers Cuomo and listening to Death Cab For Cutie. And that'd be terrible.

But anyway, enough of that crap. Let's talk about something good. I just finished watching Carrie on TV, and every time I watch it, the more I fall in love with it. If it didn't spawn that awful sequel and that mediocre made-for-television remake, it'd be even more awesome. I can't really think of anything bad to say about Carrie. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are both absolutely brilliant, and if I were to put a list together, Spacek as the titular telekinetic would be high on my list of my all-time favorite movie performances.

Everything about the movie is spectacular, and it's a crime I haven't bought the DVD and reviewed it for Sutton At The Movies yet. You know, I've got half a mind to do a big Carrie triple feature for S@TM, but I'm really not looking forward to watching Carrie 2 or the remake again. The sequel sucks hard, and the only good thing about the remake is the brilliant casting. Whoever hired Angela Bettis and Katharine Isabelle for the remake should be commended.

You know, if I actually do a Carrie triple feature, I think I might just get a little more ambitious and do Super Saturday 2. Remember Super Saturday? When I posted all those reviews of comic book movies? My idea for Super Saturday 2 is to do a crapload of movies based on Stephen King books. If you count the three Carrie movies, the two Creepshow movies, and the movies based on his "Richard Bachman" books, there's maybe a dozen movies or more I could do. Maybe I could even hold off until the movie version of Cell comes out and hits DVD so I could review it too.

If that goes through, I've even got an idea for Super Saturday 3: movies based on video games. I've done six of them already, but there's a number that are begging to be reviewed. I mean, I could have a lot of fun reviewing Super Mario Brothers, Street Fighter, or the Mortal Kombat movies. But in looking at the list on Wikipedia, there's a few that I don't even want to watch, let alone review. I'm not really interested in watching Double Dragon, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, or Wing Commander, and if any of you suggest I review a Pokémon movie, I'm gonna punch you in the throat. A man has to have his limits, and Pokémon is mine.

We'll just have to see how this goes. I don't want to put too many reviews on my plate, or else I'm going to get sick of writing these things. And we don't want that, do we? Of course not.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I can definitely empathize with the emo part. Hope we can talk later, buddy.

I kinda liked the first Pokemon movie.

February 24, 2007 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

I actually saw the first Pokemon movie during its theatrical run. I wanted to go see House on Haunted Hill, but got dragged kicking and screaming by my buddies to see Pokemon. We were the only adults in there that didn't have six-year-old children with us. The movie wasn't awful, but it's not something I'd want to watch again.

February 24, 2007 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

I'm totally down with a Carrie review, or any of the reviews.

I know what you mean about burn out, too. Been there.

February 24, 2007 at 9:07 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

See, that might explain it. I saw Pokemon in the comfort of my own home.

I maintain that if you view the series as a form of self admitting nonsense, it's actually pretty funny. Almost like it's saying "OK, we know this is just out there, but we're going to run with it the best we can."

February 24, 2007 at 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home