Friday, February 23, 2007

There's Always Room For Improvement

From the Joyride: "With Gemini: Dare to express three of your different sub-personalities." Hey, I'm a Gemini! So what's this stuff about sub-personalities?

Moving along, I was reading my review of The Blair Witch Project last night, and it hit me: a lot of my older reviews are kinda weak. I'll excuse my Blair Witch review, since aside from a few minor alterations, it was taken verbatim from a review I wrote for my high school newspaper way back when. But with the exception of my Friday The 13th review, which I still think is one of my best, my older work could be a lot better.

I think the biggest reason why that is could be how I've developed as a writer over the last few years. Most of my early reviews are pretty short, and not as in-depth (or as well-written) as my most recent ones are. I'm not saying my early reviews aren't any good, but I could probably stand to rewrite a few of them. Or at the very least, give them a few touch-ups. Something to make them as good as the new stuff, y'know?

It just goes to show what a few years worth of practice can do. I'm just happy I finally found a voice for Sutton At The Movies, because I don't think I could have maintained all three of my regular readers with those super-short, half-assed reviews I used to write.

1 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

I think it's very encouraging that your newer reviews seem so much better to you than the early ones. There's always some kind of learning curve with writing, and you're definitely on the upswing!

And there's nothing that says you can't go back and touch up any of the ones you aren't as happy with whenever you want.

Someday I'll be proud to have a Sutton At The Movies book of collected reviews on my shelf. I can picture it there now.

February 23, 2007 at 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home