Friday, February 9, 2007

I Just Don't Get Esurance Ads

You know what really grinds my gears? Those weird Esurance advertisements. If you haven't seen them, there's these bizarre animated commercials with a pink-haired woman ("Erin Esurance," I'm told her name is) engaging in a series of thrilling adventures, whether it be fighting robots in the Old West, partaking in espionage, winning a stock car race, acting like a superhero, or whatever nonsense the ad agency can think up. And in every one, she's casually discussing Esurance with "the mysterious stranger."

But there's a catch: I had to look up Esurance online to find out just what it is. And despite that, I still have no clue what these commercials are trying to sell me. There's so much going on in the commercials that the message gets lost in the presentation. And there's so much crammed into them that I can't make heads or tails of what's going on, let alone what the product is. It's like the ad agency decided to condense the movie Crank into a series of 30-second commercials for a website selling car insurance.

See, I think Esurance should take a cue from Geico. Those caveman commercials are awesome, but as cool as they are, you still know what they're selling. Esurance's commercials are nothing short of confusing, and it makes me want to pay even less attention to them than I already do. I doubt that's what Esurance wants people to do. At least, I don't think they want people to ignore their commercials.

So in summary, Esurance should either hire a new ad agency or tell their current ad agency to start putting cavemen in the commercials. Because the commercials they're running now just aren't working at all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

I kind of get that they're about car insurance somehow, and I like the pink hair. Otherwise....I dunno.

February 9, 2007 at 11:33 PM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

After I posted this little rant, I did see an Esurance ad that did make the whole insurance thing clearer. It's like they're reading my mind!

But I swear, if these ads were movies, they'd be directed by Uwe Boll. They're too convoluted and nonsensical for their own good.

February 10, 2007 at 1:06 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Fun Fact: Most of the people that quit my job in the last year that I know of went across town to work for... Esurance! We have a call center for them here too!

February 10, 2007 at 3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home