Monday, January 29, 2007

Potential Ideas For A Potential Film

I've been thinking a lot lately about what kind of movie I'd make if I ever did get the opportunity to actually make one. Since I don't know the first thing about filmmaking, it'd have to be something low-key that wouldn't require some sort of Spielbergian effort or anything like that. Something simple.

Last time I posted about this, one of the peanut gallery suggested I film a play. And truth be told, I've actually been thinking about that lately. I've entertained the idea of doing a movie version of something by William Shakespeare, but with modern dialogue. Kinda like West Side Story without all the singing and dancing, or the Leonardo DiCaprio/Claire Danes version of Romeo and Juliet with a 21st-century vocabulary. I don't know if I'd make it like 10 Things I Hate About You or anything like that, but if I could come up with something that I feel could work and that I would be personally satisfied with, I'd go for it.

That isn't the only project I'd like to take a shot at, though. If I can think something up, I'd like to take a shot at something akin to Broken Lizard's movies, and I had the idea that I believe could make an entertaining movie if I could pull it off right. The movie would basicially be similar to the very awesome documentary American Movie. It would a comedy centering around a guy trying to make a movie and how it affects him and his loved ones. Depending on how I chose to do it and if it was any kind of success, I'd probably end up drawing lots of comparisons to American Movie and perhaps to a far lesser extent Christopher Guest's mockumentary For Your Consideration, but I believe it'd be a fun movie to make.

As I've said previously, we'll have to see how it goes. Any ideas or suggestions from the peanut gallery are, as always, greatly appreciated.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

I meant you could cut costs by filming a play rather than trying to find locations and stuff. Just pick a spot, put on an original play, film it, call it a movie. I don't know where you're getting this $150,000 figure- be cheap, man.

January 30, 2007 at 4:39 AM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

$150,000 is cheap, considering that most "low budget" movies cost upwards of a million dollars.

January 30, 2007 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

An updated Shakespearean idea sounds like fun to me. If I were to try that myself it would prolly be Macbeth...because it's violent and stuff.

I still think your "Clerks at Wal-Mart" idea is well worth pursuing, too.

Pardon me if this posted twice.

January 30, 2007 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

My movie idea- the crime-on-home-video idea- I estimate would cost $5000 at the very most, and that's mostly because I'd need to purchase some equipment. I really think it could be successfully done for $1500-2000. I had it actually figured out at one point, and it was alarmingly inexpensive.

The script, unfortunately, is a bitch, and not something I want to tackle alone at all.

January 30, 2007 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

If you're going to do it with just a regular everyday camcorder, then you could probably spend no more than 5000 bucks to cover PC editing software and the camera itself.

Shooting a traditional movie, on the other hand... I'm doing the research, and the cameras alone can cost between $15,000-$30,000 for ultra high-end camcorders and $85,000-$100,000 for professional video cameras used on television shows.

January 31, 2007 at 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home