Tuesday, December 26, 2006

So Where's The Silent Night, Deadly Night Remake?

Myself, Jason, and our Anderson County posse did go see the remake of Black Christmas last night after all. We managed to catch the 9:35 show at the Fayette Mall theater in Lexington, and the place was still absolutely packed. I thought it was odd that the parking lot was crowded, but I had just hoped everyone was there to see one of the other movies that came out this weekend. But just our luck, there was a whole lot of people wanting to see Black Christmas. It was so crowded that we ended up having to split up and sit in two separate parts of the theater to make sure we could all have a seat.

So about the movie. What do I say about Black Christmas? It's goofy as all hell. The cast is mediocre. The killer's backstory is almost too bizarre for its own good. The characters are kinda flat and aren't exactly the most likable of people. Both the script and the pacing could use some work. But so help me, I actually had fun watching the movie. I probably shouldn't have, but I actually enjoyed the movie. Perhaps it's the novelty of seeing a silly slasher movie on Christmas Day? That could be part of it, I guess. But Black Christmas struck me as being some kind of homage to the dumb slashers of the '80s, which I thought was some of its charm. The cast all give it their best in spite of the material they're given, and Glen Morgan's direction isn't bad in spite of the movie's uneven pacing. But I just can't really recommend it to anybody but those who like ludicrous horror movies. I'm gonna give it three stars since I didn't hate it, but it didn't exactly make me want to run back out and see it again as soon as I could.

At least it wasn't as bad a remake as Pulse or When A Stranger Calls. And thank God for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home