Thursday, October 5, 2006

Sickness, Supergirl, and Scoundrels

I'm still not feeling as good as I'd like to, but I have improved a little over how I was feeling last night. I'm just weak as a kitten, and I haven't had anything resembling an appetite all day. But I guess that's to be expected.

However, I did manage to work up enough energy to finish something I'd been working on for the last few days. And that something is a brand new review! This time around, the review is of the one and only Supergirl. I just need to get around to reviewing Superman Returns, and I'll have the entire franchise done.

Speaking of movies, I saw School For Scoundrels in Danville on Tuesday. It was a little slow at the beginning, but it picked up steam as it progressed. I really liked Billy Bob Thornton, and Jon "Napoleon Dynamite" Heder isn't bad, but I think the movie really had a hard time balancing the dark humor with the "dork gets the girl" thing. If it stayed closer to being a dark comedy, I personally think it would have been a little funnier. But I did enjoy the movie, so School For Scoundrels gets three and a half stars.

And that's about it for this one. I'm going to go relax and get ready for the next episode of Smallville. Later.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Supergirl is the first ever superhero movie where 2 things happened. I was young when it came out, but I still have the same priorities concerning the idea of a Supergirl movie. The 2 things:

1.'Supergirl' would be one of the few superhero movies where I would hope they stray from the comics, because Supergirl is a mess. Luckily, they did this.

2.However, the movie is ass, and is the first time I stopped watching a superhero movie before the conclusion and I stick by the assessment. I've never watched it through, because it sucks. Hard.

I mean, I'm sure it's better than a Hawkman movie would be (another one where it would be fine to stray from comics).

October 6, 2006 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

I was perhaps a little too kind with the movie, but I didn't think it was that horrible. I agree that it was pretty bad, but I just felt it was one of those "so bad, it's good" movies. Really, it might not have been so bad if the script had been better.

But with all the remakes being made nowadays, I think the Supergirl movie is one that actually deserves a remake. Someone should call up Joss Whedon and tell him that once he's done with the Wonder Woman movie.

October 6, 2006 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

First, yay! New review!

Second, I've never seen Supergirl, but I am curious.

And what would be wrong with a Hawkman movie? Just because the comics might be a mess (they are) doesn't mean they wouldn't do a good job (however unlikely).

October 6, 2006 at 5:13 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Hawkman would have a lot working against him- a live action Hawkman would look pretty stupid, afterall. I don't care who designs the costume. Plus he's confusing- I think Hawkman is a badass, but I can't claim to know much about him or what exactly makes Hawkman *Hawkman*. Is he an archaeologist, and alien, or what? Bird People?

And I believe Joss SHOULD do Supergirl... maybe instead of Wonder Woman. Because I bet that ends up sucking.

October 9, 2006 at 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home