Sunday, October 22, 2006

Nine More Days 'Till Halloween

I had quite a long night, and boy, am I feeling it today. I could probably go back to sleep and stay there all afternoon. I'm that worn out.

The evening began somewhere in the neighborhood of 7:30, with the usual suspects and I heading up to Jacobson Park in Lexington to go visit a haunted house. Well, it wasn't so much a haunted house as it was a haunted trail, but you get the idea. And I must admit I thought the place was a lot of fun. It wasn't as intensely scary as I'd have expected, but after a lifetime of watching horror movies, I think my senses have been a wee bit dulled. But regardless, the place was great. What was really fun was seeing how scared the other three were. I was bringing up the rear of our foursome, which meant the other three got scared before I did, or everything snuck up on me first.

That leads to a silly story, actually. As I said, I was in the back of the group. At one point, a guy in overalls and a hockey mask sneaks up behind us and followed us for a little bit. I noticed him and called out, "Holy crap, Jason! Hey, it's Jason!" Unfortunately, they didn't pay any attention. The thing is that Moses's first name is Jason, so they all thought I was just trying to get his attention. This is what I get for hanging out with a guy who has the same name as a popular horror villain.

The only really bad part of the whole thing was all the mud. It was like someone had set this thing up at Woodstock. We've been getting plenty of rain lately, which could be part of it. But I also think that they hid strategically placed mud pits in some of the trail's darker spots. I say that because the ground was a lot softer in some places, and I vaguely noticed what looked like a shallow hole someone had dug and filled in with mud. I ended up with mud nearly up to my knees, thanks to those things. I'm just glad I didn't get dressed up for the thing, otherwise I'd be a little more unhappy.

After the haunted trail, we were all feeling a little hungry. It was pretty late when we got out of there, and since we didn't think many restaurants would be open around 10:30 or 11:00, our options were limited. And since the girls didn't want to go to White Castle, we agreed upon Waffle House instead. It was closer than White Castle, it's a 24-hour establishment, and who doesn't like waffles? Anybody who says they don't like Waffle House's waffles is either a fool or a liar. That's some good stuff.

From Waffle House, we moved on to a Wal-Mart that was close by. We didn't have any real reason to be there, we just like hanging out in Wal-Marts. Didn't get anything accomplished there, not that we were really aiming to, but we did succeed in killing some time and having some fun.

Since it was getting pretty late, almost 1:30 in the morning, we figured we'd head home after leaving Wal-Mart. We ended up getting slowed down by about a half-hour or so, thanks to a wrong turn we initially believed was going to be a shortcut, but we eventually ended up on the right road to home. Moses and I hung out with the girls at their place for a little while before we called it a night and rolled home about 4:00 in the morning. So yeah, I'm a little worn out. I slept until 1:45 this afternoon and I'm still tired.

My plans for what's left of the day are to simply sit back and relax. Unless something comes up, I'll probably be doing the relaxation thing all week. At least until Friday, that is. Depending on the availability of particular members of our crew, there may be big plans for Friday night. The Grand, where we previously caught a midnight showing of Army of Darkness back in August, is doing a double feature of The Exorcist and The Silence of the Lambs on both Friday and Saturday. They'll be showing The Exorcist at 8:00 and Silence of the Lambs at midnight on Friday, then swapping them on Saturday night. If every member of the crew can be available, since we don't want any of us being left out, we're going to try and make it to both Friday shows. If not, we're going to implement Plan B and see just the two midnight showings. Either way would be a lot of fun, but I'm kinda pulling for Plan A, just to save making an extra trip.

One way or the other, I think we'll have just as great a time as we did when we saw Army of Darkness. I still haven't seen more than a few minutes of The Exorcist, and I can't think of a more fun way to see it for the first time. So here's hoping our plans go off without a hitch.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go kick back and enjoy a lazy Sunday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

That sounds like a great lot of fun. I totally need to find a haunted house or something around here to go to.

I would *love* to go to that double feature. So what if I've seen those before? It wasn't in a crowded theater. That makes it all the more fun.

October 23, 2006 at 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home