Monday, September 25, 2006

"Number Two" Is A Fitting Name

Do you want to know something that really stinks? Making a 35-minute trip to somewhere you didn't know was closed. Me and my usual running buddy Moses were aiming to head to the drive-in theater in Harrodsburg to see a double feature of Invincible and The Wicker Man, but when we got there, nobody was in the box office and the parking lot was empty. Naturally, we thought things seemed a little suspicious. So we pulled in anyway and figured we'd see if anybody was manning the concession stand. The place was locked up and no lights were on, but someone who'd pulled in behind us hollered and said they saw somebody behind the place walking around, so I headed back there to ask what was up. The guy back there informed me that due to not-so-great weather, the place wasn't going to be rolling any movies. He also mentioned that the place would probably be closing for the winter soon. We left, and needless to say, we were pretty bummed for a few minutes.

But since there was another theater a few minutes away over in Danville, we figured we'd just skip ahead to some of our plans for Tuesday and catch the 9:40 showing of Jackass: Number Two. And folks, this movie isn't for the squeamish. It's very fitting that John Waters, the king of cinematic sleaze, has a cameo, because the movie repeatedly dips into the realm of the scatological with joyful glee. There's blood, feces (both human and equestrian), a certain bodily fluid from a horse (no, not urine), and an insane amount of uncomfortable male nudity. But even at it's most disgusting, the movie is still perversely funny if you're into frat boy humor. However, as with the original movie, you'll only enjoy the sequel if you're a fan of the television show that inspired it. And truth be told, if you didn't like the show, then you probably won't be seeing the movie anyway.

Because the movie is successful in its attempt to both gross out its target audience as well as make them laugh, I'll give Jackass: Number Two a solid three and a half stars and a recommendation only to fans of the show.

I also have to admit that I really like the five-dollar pizza deal at Little Caesars. I'm more of a Pizza Hut kind of guy, but you can't beat a pizza that's cheap and of decent quality. I bring this up because me and Moses swung by the Harrodsburg Little Caesars before the movie, since we had two hours to kill until the movie and we were a little hungry. My only complaint is that Little Caesars is a carry-out place. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but sometimes, I think Little Caesars would do well to put picnic tables or some benches outside their locations for people who don't want to take their pizzas and head home right away.

But I don't run the place, so what do I know?

1 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

That sucks about the drive-in. Bastards!

I liked the first Jackass, so I figure I'll like this one, too. But it'll probably be a dvd thing for me.

I've always been a Papa Gino's girl. Too bad there isn't one around here.

September 25, 2006 at 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home