Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Beerfest Makes My Liver Hurt

It's odd how things can go sometimes. I was talking about how boring my weekend was on Sunday, then I have all kinds of activities to partake in yesterday and today. I'm so tired I can barely type this, but I'm going to tough it out.

Let's start with Monday, shall we? Myself, Moses, and our Lawrenceburg peeps Tiff and Jennifer went to Frankfort for what was originally concieved as a trip to see either Beerfest or The Wicker Man. There was no movie, as the trip ended up with us making a stop at Pizza Hut before going bowling. The sign in front of the bowling alley advertised 99-cent games between 3:00 and 7:00, so we totally took advantage of that. And even with the gutter bumpers in play (since gutter balls totally suck), I never broke 100. Though we all hovered somewhere between 80 and 100, to be honest. After the bowling, we headed back to Jennifer's house to watch Monday Night Raw, and I finally got back home at midnight. So a long and tiring, yet fun, day.

Which brings us to today. Moses and I headed up to Lexington for the 1:20 showing of Beerfest, and both of us really liked it. Both of us are fans of the Broken Lizard troupe, and I personally don't feel disappointed at all. The tale can be explained relatively quickly: Two brothers recruit a team to participate in the underground Olympics of drinking games during Oktoberfest, so they can defeat a team of Germans and defend the honor of their deceased great-grandfather. So as you can assume, nearly the whole thing is comprised of jokes involving beer. There's so many beer jokes, in fact, that the movie opened with a "don't try this at home" warning. Outside of the Jackass movies, I can't think of one movie that's featured one of those.

I enjoyed Broken Lizard's characters (especially Jay Chandrasekhar), but I really loved the German team. I'm a fan of Eric Christian Olsen and Saturday Night Live cast member Will Forte, and them alone makes me hope that the German team will have more screen time in the inevitable unrated DVD. I also got quite a laugh out of the numerous references to movies like Predator, An American Werewolf in London, and Broken Lizard's own Super Troopers, and even Jürgen Prochnow making a "wink wink, nudge nudge" reference to his starring role in Das Boot.

Like I said, I'm a Broken Lizard fan, and I laughed my head off throughout Beerfest. I'm going to agree with what Libby said and give it three and a half stars. I approve.

After the movie, we made a stop at White Castle for some lunch, then headed over to Fayette Mall for a few hours of window shopping. The only real bad part of window shopping is that I always end up finding stuff I like but can't afford. I hate when that happens. But after a long day of moviegoing and hanging around a mall, we rolled back home at somewhere around 9:00. Good day, it was.

And I'm out of here for now. Back again some other time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Yay! Beerfest! Movie agreement! We're totally in alignment. And the German team was *tremendous*. If I wrote Beerfest 2, it would be all about them.

I think my favorite scene was when Jay C shows up and does the coin toss trick all over the bar. Or...or...maybe the fight scene to the death!

And now you know why I had to add that asterisk when I said that Landfill was my favorite character, too. (wink)

September 6, 2006 at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home