Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Free Concerts Are Great, Blisters Suck

Welcome back to the show. I'd have probably posted this last night, but I didn't get home until somewhere in the neighborhood of 2:00 or 2:15 in the morning, and I headed directly to bed right after that.

Myself, Moses, and some of his co-workers went up to the state fair last night, mainly to check out the free Dwight Yoakam concert at Cardinal Stadium, the football/baseball stadium next to the fairgrounds. The show started at 8:00 (though people had been lining up as early as 3:30), with Exile as the opening act. I'd heard of Exile, though I only know of exactly one of their songs (which is pushing thirty years old, if I have my facts straight). They did put on a fun, entertaining show, wrapping up as the sun set around 9:00.

From there, we segue into an intermission. I should point out that during the intermission, random country music was played over the P.A. system, and at one point, they played Johnny Cash's "I Walk The Line." And believe it or not, that got some of the loudest cheers of the night, no lie.

After the intermission, the headliner took the stage at right around 9:30. I'll admit to not being quite familiar with Yoakam's music either (I only knew three of his songs prior to last night), but it was so much fun that I don't know if I can really put it into words. He played a lot of his own stuff, a little segment of Buck Owens covers, his cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire," then wrapped up with a little bluegrass before leaving the stage and eventually coming back for an encore.

Yoakam's set was great, but unfortunately, the majority of the crowd left halfway through because of how late in the evening it was getting. Some people just can't afford to sit all the way through a concert that ends at 11:45 on a Monday night. Perhaps if Yoakam had gotten up on stage a little bit earlier, more people would have seen the whole show.

The last two days have been a lot of fun, even when you consider I'm weak as a kitten and I have a blister on one of my toes. I hadn't been to the state fair in five or six years, and if it weren't for the traffic and the crowd, I should really do that again next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home