Thursday, July 20, 2006

Super Movies

Taking a cue from Libby, let's briefly venture into the world of the superheroic for a while, shall we?

It was announced yesterday that Frank Miller had been hired to write and direct a movie based on The Spirit, who I actually had never heard of until Libby mentioned him on Tuesday. And it got me to thinking, what other superheroes could use movies?

Naturally, there's the big ones like Captain America, Thor, Green Lantern, and The Flash. But what about some of the heroes that get lost in the shuffle? Silver Surfer is going to turn up in the next Fantastic Four movie, so he isn't a problem. But there's guys like Swamp Thing and Dr. Strange that could use decent movies, but are usually forgotten about because studios are more wont to make movies based on cerified cash cows like Superman or the X-Men.

But I guess Hollywood would want to get all the A-list comic properties out of the way first. Joss Whedon is doing Wonder Woman, Christopher Nolan is prepping the Batman Begins sequel, David Goyer has said he wants to do a Flash movie, and there's Fantastic Four 2 and the Magneto and Wolverine spinoffs all coming sooner or later. Why not break out characters like the Martian Manhunter or Hawkman, or even someone not as well-known like Night Thrasher. Heck, why not do two or three more Superman movies, then reboot Supergirl's movie franchise? There's plenty of properties that could be used if Hollywood only chose to do them.

Maybe one of these days, we'll even get movies based on the Justice League or the Avengers, but it's all up to Hollywood.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Even I would scoff at a Night Thrasher movie. I do think a Doctor Strange movie could be done well- he's someone I actually think might be better as a movie. Swamp Thing as a movie- that would be sweet. Alan Moore's run on Swampy came just after the last movie was made (and I never cared for that).

I think Green Lantern or Green Arrow would rock. I do want to see what Miller can do with the Spirit, although he said he was going to "scare" people, so... I don't know what he has planned.

July 20, 2006 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

I just happened to stumble upon Night Thrasher, and thought the name was cool. I know nothing about him.

July 20, 2006 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

He sucks. I know everyone rags on Speedball as being a crappy character, but Night Thrasher is the epitome of "Let's create a new Wolverine for the kids 90s XXXTreeeeeme style". He's a bad New Warriors character- but man, points of obscurity.

July 21, 2006 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I had to look it up, but he's dead now too. I thought he was one who recently got blow'd up, and he was. He was actually a Batman ripoff completely.

July 21, 2006 at 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home