Monday, July 17, 2006

Okay, Here's A Post Not About The Script

Finally, I have something to talk about other than that infernal script for a change.

Myself and the usual suspects went up to Lexington to check out a new theater that just opened up a few weeks ago. Our options came down to either seeing Superman Returns a second time, or seeing Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Since neither I or my partner in crime have seen the original Pirates in its entirety (and thus probably wouldn't understand Pirates 2's plot), we opted for Superman Returns.

[The next paragraph might contain spoilers. Be warned.]

The first time I saw it, I was impressed with the quality of both its acting and visual effects. The second time around, I was still impressed. However, I have to talk about something. Could the messianic allegory been any more blatant? All that talk of saviors, Superman catching a sign that apparently says "Grace" along with the globe atop the Daily Planet (effectively holding the whole world in his hands, like the song), Jor-El's "I have sent them you, my only son" spiel, Superman falling to Earth with the arms-outstretched Christ pose, and even Superman apparently dying and coming back to life. Okay, so Superman is kinda like Jesus, I get it. I didn't need to be hammered over the head with it.

But all in all, I stand by my four-star review from two weeks ago.

[Okay, no more spoiler warning.]

In other news, that new theater was really nice. I'm already making plans to go see Clerks 2 (and possibly Lady in the Water) there next week. Unfortunately, trips to that theater will be not-so-often occurances because it's an hour's drive away. I really wish we could get a theater in this county, but we're so backwoods, we didn't even get a McDonald's until two or three years ago. Washington County, Kentucky, just may be the land that time forgot.

And that's about it for now. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home