Monday, June 12, 2006

That Kid Is A Freak

Caught the remake of The Omen this afternoon. I have yet to see the original, so I can't compare them, but I didn't think the remake was awful.

There's a noticeable lack of suspense in the movie. There's only one real scene that generates what could be called "suspense," but since we absolutely know for a fact that it will end horribly, it becomes not a matter of how it will turn out, but a matter of how disturbing.

I'm a fan of Liev Schrieber, but I don't think he lived up to his potential here. He's really good here, don't get me wrong, but I don't really believe the character was strong enough to befit someone as talented as he is. Perhaps he wanted a little diversity on his résumé? Julia Stiles and Peter Postlethwaite are serviceable, and first-time actor Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick is very creepy. I know the "creepy horror movie child" has become a cliché, but the look in young Davey-Fitzpatrick's eyes throughout the movie proves to be both convincing and unsettling. He only has two lines of dialogue that I can remember, so his performance has to be more physical. And to be truthful, I was convinced.

And while there are quite a few surprising jump scenes (along with musical stingers that will make you go deaf), the movie is merely average at best. It wasn't awful, but I simply don't believe that it will become an iconic piece of horror cinema like its source material. I'll give it a thumbs in the middle with three stars out of my usual five. Though I reiterate that, like always, your mileage may vary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home