Friday, June 23, 2006

Never Mind, I Don't Want That Remote Anymore

Caught the 5:00 showing of Adam Sandler's new movie Click today.

While your mileage may vary, I personally thought the movie was perhaps one of Sandler's best movies. The movie's commercials paint Click as a laugh riot, and while I found it to be incredibly funny, that's only half of the story. There is a lot of heart in the movie, especially as the movie takes a turn or the dramatic once Sandler's universal remote begins fast-forwarding over months and years at a time on its own.

Click could be considered a spiritual cousin to Bruce Almighty, as both films concern men who think they have it all figured out, but are taught to appreciate their lives by all-knowing strangers. While Bruce Almighty deals with Jim Carrey getting a lesson that he doesn't really have all the answers, Click concerns Sandler's workaholic character and his desire to skip over all of the unwanted moments of life while rewinding or fast-forwarding to the more pleasurable ones. Why argue with your wife or deal with a loud barking dog when you have "Skip" and "Mute" buttons that will work just as much on your world as they will on your television?

The movie demonstrates Sandler's maturity as an actor. Five years ago, Jim Carrey probably would have gotten Click's lead role light years before Sandler would ever be considered. But now, with movies that have started to stray more and more from the "dumb guy" slapstick roles under his belt, I think Sandler has reached Carrey-like proportions, where he can still do comedic roles while still maintaining some kind of seriousness. And by the end of the movie, I'd come to really like and sympathize with Sandler's character, which I believe is proof that he can actually act instead of acting goofy.

The rest of the cast is quite enjoyable as well, and I was thoroughly entertained by both the comedy and the drama. For that, my final verdict is four stars and a seal of approval.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

This reminds me- "The Ringer" is not that bad. I was completely thrown by how much that wasn't terrible.

June 24, 2006 at 1:16 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Mine is prolly "Stuck On You", the conjoined twins movie with Matt Damon and Greg Kinear. I was surprised by how much heart it had, and it didn't suck either.

I hope I got the title right.

June 24, 2006 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Kicken said...

I really want to see that movie. Josh and I were gonna go see it together, but you know how that goes. I'm glad to hear that it was good.

June 24, 2006 at 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home