Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dude, Where's My Comments?

You know, I noticed something a little while ago. I was going back through my March 2006 archives looking for an old post of mine, and I noticed all of my comments had disappeared. The only ones still around are the ones from April and May. Every other comment before that, from both Blogger and Tripod, aren't showing up. The funny thing is that all the comments from January to now are showing up between January to now in HaloScan's control panel, but just aren't showing up here. And needless to say, I'm both confused and a little bummed.

I did a wee bit of research, and it turns out that HaloScan does this in order to save bandwidth and memory, but I could keep them if I upgraded to a premium account. I'm most certainly not going to pay to keep my comments around, so sooner or later, I may just switch over to the comment feature that Blogger offers. I don't want my comments getting deleted, after all. Unfortunately, that means all the comments that were still around on Blogger aren't available on the main page anymore, but I guess sacrifices have to be made in order to make sure things work properly.

I'll probably still keep the HaloScan comments up at Tripod. The Blogger Experience is the one everyone reads and comments on, so I don't think comments on the Tripod blog disappearing will end up being that big of a deal. And if Blogger starts deleting comments, I'm just gonna throw a fit.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

My priceless bon mots, gone? And by price I mean taste. SEE? Invaluable gems. All of them.

May 10, 2006 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

I hate it too.

May 10, 2006 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

Darn it. There's always a catch!

Stupid bureaucracy!

May 10, 2006 at 11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the older comments should still be available if you can see them at haloscan--they may show a 0 comment count in the link but clicking the link still shows all the comments.

May 11, 2006 at 5:16 AM  
Blogger Matt Sutton said...

I still don't like the idea of the comments either not showing up or being deleted outright after so long of a time. Besides, showing a zero comment count when there actually are comments there is a little decieving.

May 11, 2006 at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home