Tuesday, April 4, 2006

Mickie James, WWE Women's Champion

Wrestlemania 22 was Sunday night, and sadly, I missed it. But I'm definitely going to buy the DVD, as I've made it a habit to buy Wrestlemania's DVD release every year. I've picked up the individual DVDs of 15 through 21, though I haven't had the chance to pick up one through 14. But once I come across the $150 to $200 it'd take to get them all, I totally will. I'm a completist, no matter what.

My personal favorite bit of news coming out of Wrestlemania is that Mickie James won the Women's Championship. Those of you I talk wrestling with know that she's currently one of my favorite wrestlers. I first ran across her when she was in TNA as a valet for Raven, using her old indy name "Alexis Laree." She didn't wrestle all that much, but I ended up becoming a fan primarily because I thought she was cute. (I'm just a man, after all.) She ended up getting hired by WWE and assigned to their OVW farm team here in Kentucky, and that's where I really grew to appreciate her. I mean, she was just awesome in the ring. If you can ever find a tape of one of her matches with Smackdown's Jillian Hall, check it out. There's one from sometime last year that's absolutely amazing, if you can find it. And getting to sit in the second row and watch her wrestle at an OVW show is one of my prouder moments as a wrestling fan.

I'm really happy that she got promoted to WWE, so a wider audience can see what I've been enjoying watching so much. Like Libby said over at her blog, the Single White Female angle with Trish Stratus has been pure gold. She's great in the ring and plays a great psycho, so putting the title on her totally makes this fan happy.

And that's all I've got. TTFN, dear readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home